Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A couple of quickies

First off, a HUGE congratulations to Mr. Ted King for finishing his second Giro d'Italia!  No, not some hackneyed, American, junior, amateur version of a giro.  No, I'm talking about the real deal, the big dance, er, il grande ballo.  Way to go, Ted!  I remember when I could stay in front of you in collegiate mountain bike races...for 24 seconds.  For those of you who don't know, Ted is a New England native, a Middlebury College alum, and a great reciter of lines from the movie Dumb and Dumber.  He's an all around great guy. 
I spent Memorial Day weekend in Maine with Liese and JS.  To the confusion of many locals back here in Vermont, I had to repeatedly explain that I would not be participating in the reincarnated Killington Stage Race, directed by my good pal Gary Kessler of Green Mountain Stage Race fame.  This one was hard to avoid but I managed through sheer will and the constant reminder that I was indeed months behind top physical shape, at least, in order to compete with the top guys.  However, after racing around coastal Maine this weekend, I feel as if I would have done pretty well.  And, after racing around coastal Maine this weekend, I will no longer complain feverishly about the shape of Vermont's roads.  Maine's peninsula roads are deplorable.  My backside hurts more than the patience of the old man in the '91 Taurus with the sideways yellow ribbon magnet that looks like a Jesus fish who was trying to pass me to make it two seconds earlier to whatever flea market he was heading to.   Most of the drivers were somewhat courteous, if not, unaware that I was on the road and therefore didn't notice me to begin with.  In that area of Maine, I suppose, you are always playing defense as a cyclist.  It was a good lesson anyway and a good reminder to be extra cautious just in case. 

Aside from the riding, there was much lounging, putting the dock in (a big first) cleaning out the barn and joyously tossing old junk into a giant dumpster in preparation for my brother's wedding in August, and lots and lots of dog management. Our dogs were having the time of their lives, and in the process, often annoying all of the company that came up and BBQ'd at our farm on Sunday.  But the barking, whining, and jumping were well worth it and the constant comic relief the dogs provided was automatic silence filler when people began to run out of things to say. 

Thanks, Maine!

First hill climb is now just over two weeks away!!!  Up, up, and away.

1 comment: