Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Green Mountain Bike Club Crit

I can't sprint.  In fact, your chances would be pretty good to bet on a gerbil on a wheel sprinting faster than me.  I work on sprinting sometimes.  I go out, try to look composed as I "power" my bike faster and faster along the road's shoulder.  I must look ridiculous for so much body motion and effort, for me, only leads to a top ground speed of maybe 31mph if the wind is right.  Whew!  I'm winded just thinking about it.  Sprinting.  Yuck.
But last night at the GMBC Tuesday night crit, I really tried to throw it down.  Not the sprint, mind you, but a sustained time trial-like effort.  I arrived 15 minutes pre-start, and within the first 100 meters of the race, another racer meandered casually off of the front of the pack and I, for whatever reason, went with him.  While I exchanged breakaway partners for the most of the duration of the race, I was constantly off the front.  My Lynskey Helix OS dove around the tight course with confidence and gusto and the early evening sunlight must have looked glorious reflecting off the titanium's spiraling metal sheen.  Aah, summer.  I don't have a power meter so I have no idea how many watts I was putting out.  Let's just say 3,000 because that's what it felt like.  I didn't stay away but my efforts chased down the late race break to try to set up ex-teammate and great friend Andrew Gardner for the sprint finish.  I think he ended up in third or fourth.  Not sure.  My eyes were too blurry to really see straight.

I'm starting to move and I want to tell my three followers that.  Okay, maybe five, if you count my parents.  It's refreshing to know that I can still find my legs after having spent the winter months in a seat, couch, or library chair instead of on my bike saddle.

Whiteface hill climb is next Saturday, June 19.  Stay tuned for a full report, reflection, and impression.  I can't wait to show the climbers my new bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment